Many people in the Beaumaris community ask why The Beaumaris Land Company ("BLC") exists and for what purpose. The answer simply is a four letter word - golf. Following is a brief history of the formation of the BLC.
On October 2, 1919, a group of gentlemen met at the Duquesne Club in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to discuss the formation of a company to purchase certain properties on which the 18 hole golf course used by the Beaumaris Golf & Tennis Association was located. W. H. R. Hilliard held an option from John H. Willmott to purchase the property for $17,500 on which the back nine holes lay, and J. H. Hillman, Jr. held an option from Mr. Nicholson to purchase the property for $25,000 on which the first nine holes lay. The gentlemen present at the meeting, Messrs. W. H. R. Hilliard, Julian Kennedy, William W. Blair, William McK Reed, Robert J. McKay, R. S. Marshall, J. H. Hillman, Jr., W. L. Mellon, J.P. H. Cunningham and George B. Berger, decided to accept the options through the BLC and to capitalize the new company with $60,000. In addition they decided to limit the shareholders to "cottagers in Beaumaris who were interested in the promotion of outdoor sports and in the welfare of the Beaumaris summer colony generally".
At their next meeting in the First National Bank Building in Pittsburgh on December 31, 1919, at 3:00 p.m. the shareholders elected the first directors being W. H. R. Hilliard, Julian Kennedy, William W. Blair, William McK Reed, Robert J. McKay, R. S. Marshall, J. H. Hillman, Jr., W. L. Mellon, J.P. H. Cunningham and George B. Berger. They then adopted certain Bylaws. The first Bylaw set the principal office of the BLC in Beaumaris, Ontario, Canada with an additional principal office in the City of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
An hour later at the same place the newly elected directors appointed W. H. R. Hilliard as the President, and J. H. Hillman, Jr., as the Secretary of the BLC. The shareholders and directors stated the corporate object as to buy, sell, lease or otherwise acquire land or property in the District of Muskoka in the Province of Ontario for the purpose of erecting or maintaining thereon golf links and all buildings, fixtures and appliances necessary thereto. These original Letters Patent were supplemented on November 4, 1946 to increase the capital from $60,000 to $120,000 and to add to the powers and objects of the BLC. Among the new objects were the promotion of the interest and welfare of the village of Beaumaris in the District of Muskoka.
One might assume that by 5:00 p.m. on December 31, 1919, the newly elected directors of the BLC retired to celebrate New Year's Eve.